panther - php5 upgrade - i'm confused

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Dec 12 17:30:42 PST 2008

On Dec 6, 2008, at 13:24, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2008, at 07:59, Chris Janton wrote:
>
>> admin at x:admin:125 $ sudo port upgrade php5
>> --->  Installing apache2 2.2.10_0+darwin_7
[snip]
>> admin at x:admin:126 $ port installed
>> The following ports are currently installed:
>>   apache @1.3.41_0 (active)
>>   apache2 @2.2.10_0+darwin_7
>>   apr @1.3.3_0 (active)
>>   apr-util @1.3.4_1+no_bdb (active)
>>   php5 @5.2.6_2+apache+darwin_7+macosx+mysql5+pear (active)
>> admin at x:admin:127 $
>>
>> Why does the php5 upgrade "install" apache2?
>
> I don't know... I didn't change anything in the dependencies
> recently. I'll test on my Panther machine later.

[snip]

I see it now too, if I install php5 with something other than the
+apache2 variant (so, either +apache or +fastcgi or +no_web) and then
ask to upgrade the port. It's not Panther-specific. It's this base bug:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/8221

The port declares dependencies on apache2 by default (via the
+apache2 variant), but even though you've overridden that default
with your variant selection, MacPorts doesn't respect that during
upgrade.

The workaround for now is to first manually ensure php5's
dependencies are up to date, then ignore dependencies when upgrading
php5:

sudo port -nf upgrade php5