MacPorts installs libraries I already have!

Harry Parker harrylparker at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 09:24:50 PST 2008

Emmanuel Hainry wrote:

Citando Scott :
> Hello.
>
> I MacPorted a bunch of stuff yesterday (libpng, netpbm, and gocr), and
> MacPorts added repeats of lib files, man pages, and other stuff I
> ALREADY HAD in both my system-installed libraries and in
> /usr/local/share!  What?s up with that?
>
> For example, when I MacPorted gocr, it fetched and installed jpeg 6b_3
> -- but I already have it.
>
> Then it installed jasper 1.900.1_1+darwin_9.  Already have that, too.
>
> Then it installed tiff.  Already have that, too.
>
> Then it installed netpbm, which I had already installed myself --
> using the ordinary ./config, make, install -- into /usr/local/share.
>
> Two questions:
>
> (1) Shouldn?t MacPorts LOOK to see if I have what it thinks it should
> install?  Is there a way to MAKE MacPorts look first, and thus skip
> duplicate files?

No. It is a choice. Apart from very specific cases, macports depends
only on things installed through macports.
http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#WhyisMacPortsusingitsownlibraries

> (2) Should I now delete ONE of the duplicate file-sets?  If so, which
> should I kill -- the ordinary /usr/...  embedded set, or MacPorts'
> /opt/... embedded set?

If you want macports to keep on working, don't delete anything in
/opt/local by hand. To convince yourself, have a look at 'otool -L
/opt/local/bin/gocr' (not sure of the switch, not sure gocr installs a
binary named gocr, but however). You will see that it depends on the
libraries installed by macports.

Your /usr/local/ tree should be as empty as possible, if you need to
delete something, delete it. (be warned that things you installed using
those libraries will probably stop working, but you can probably install
them through macports).

Actually, a much less destructive way to go is to temporarily rename
/usr/local/ to something else while using the MacPorts build system.  Once
your ports are built, you can rename it back.  No sense "throwing the baby
out with the bath water."