libxml2 - PHP5 - expat - Panther

Chris Janton face at CentosPrime.COM
Sat Dec 13 09:17:49 PST 2008

short version - if I modify a php5.2.6 portfile to use --with-libexpat-
dir (as opposed to --with-expat-dir)
the "fix" to the broken XML parsing doesn't work.

On my Leopard systems that change in configuration works fine.

On my Panther system if I run the simple test case of the failing
parse on the command line I see a proper result.

The real test is through Apache to Wordpress/xmlrpc.php -
I try that (via MarsEdit or Flickr) and what I get in the Apache error
log is

	[Sat Dec 13 09:48:21 2008] [notice] child pid 21568 exit signal Bus
error (10)

along with no response at the client side. Essentially something dies
hard.

I have tracked it as far as I can, to the deeply embedded class-
IXR.php call to "xml_parse()"
This call

	if (!xml_parse($this->_parser, $this->message)) {...}

never completes.

For the time being I think I prefer a poor result due to the parse as
opposed to httpd client processes dying.

To that end I put the php5 Portfile back to 5.2.6 with the wrong "--
with-expat-dir". That was the last, known, working edition of php5 and
friends.

I'm basically back to square -1 on my 10.3.9 system.

8)