connection errors when macports libs are used with Tiger X11 headers

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at macports.org
Sat Dec 13 11:44:11 PST 2008

On Dec 13, 2008, at 01:49, MAS! wrote:

> I had the same troubles:
>

>> I fixed a big chunk of this yesterday, so resync and:
>> sudo port -v -f uninstall xrender cairo pango gtk2
>> sudo port -v install gtk2
>>

> I did it but it doesn't work:
> (for example)
>
> bart:~ mas$ pidgin
> XIO:  fatal IO error 9 (Bad file descriptor) on X server ":0.0"
>      after 7 requests (6 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
>

>> Does it work now?  If not, does 'gtk-demo' work?
>>

> yes, gtk-demo works.

Yeah, there seems to be some problem when some libs link against the
Tiger X11 libs and others link against ones from Macports... I started
a thread about this in macports-dev yesterday...

> and I'm trying to install the new gtk release (2.14.5) but ...
>
> (...)
> /bin/sh: line 1: gtkdoc-rebase: command not found
> :(

It was missing a depends_build on gtk-doc ... I've added it.

---

My advice to you is to stick entirely with macports xorg-* ports or
the system /usr/X11R6 libs and not mix the two until we figure this out.