MacPorts 1.7.0 has been released

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Sun Dec 14 01:19:32 PST 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 09:58:02AM +0100, Jochen Küpper said:
[...]
> Anyway, here's my experience, showing one old bug (which currently has a
> trac milestone of 1.7.1) and an issue with sources.conf, which might be
> due to a change of the files' format? Anyway, easy to get along, hope
> it'll get fixed sometime soon;-)
[...]
> /usr/bin/tclsh src/upgrade_sources_conf_default.tcl /opt/local
> svn: This client is too old to work with working copy '/Users/jochen/
> source/macports/dports'; please get a newer Subversion client

That upgrade script tries to be smart in finding out which source needs to
be called the default one.  In your case you have a subversion-checkout for
your ports, which needs an svn version of 1.5.x, but it apparently found an
older (probably /usr/bin/svn if you are on 10.5).  Hence, it failed.  This
is somewhat similar to

<http://trac.macports.org/ticket/17635>

in that either way, the script fails and doesn't update sources.conf.  The
message from that script, had it not bombed, would have otherwise notified
you that your /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf file needs to be updated,
with one of the entries (the one pointing to the main MacPorts repository)
tagged default, like so:

file:///path/to/svn/checkout [default]

[...]
> > sudo port selfupdate
>
> No default port source specified in /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf
>     while executing
> "mportinit ui_options global_options global_variations"
> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize MacPorts, No default
> port source specified in /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf
>
> Need to manually add "[default]" to my only source specification line...

Yup, that is the correct fix to it, since the upgrade script was unable to
figure out which to do.  I think one way to handle such things is, if there
is only one (as in your case), it should be tagged default, since otherwise
MacPorts probably wouldn't be too functional without the primary repository.

Sorry about you having an install with just the right settings to run into
this...

Bryan