Error upgrading xrender on Panther

David Epstein David.Epstein at warwick.ac.uk
Sun Dec 14 23:06:36 PST 2008

Jeremy Huddleston-5 wrote:

> Can you please see:
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/17429#comment:
> I think if you pull in xorg-libX11 first, it'll be fine, but I need
> someone to test that first...

I just tried sudo port upgrade installed (I should have said outdated
instead of installed, but nothing seemed to go wrong) and I hit this xrender
problem. I looked at the conversation over the ticket, but didn't understand
much of it. Also, I was surprised to find that the bug report was closed,
because that would indicate to me that the problems with porting xrender
have been removed. But I am continuing to get exactly the same errors as
those originally reported. How should one interpret a "bug closed" message?

I run Mac Os X 10.4.11, so I should have changed the name of the thread from
Panther to Tiger, but I didn't know how to do that.

Could someone post advice on how to proceed, directed at uneducated users?
Thanks very much. I would have tried installing xorg-libX11, except that
Jeremy says, in the email I quote, that the solution is untested, and,
furthermore, the discussion on the ticket seems a little equivocal.
Furthermore, I saw the comment in that discussion that installing
xorg-libX11 brings in a lot of other stuff, so I don't want to do it, unless
it's necessary.