Error upgrading xrender on Panther

Frank J. R. Hanstick trog24 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 15 11:19:52 PST 2008

Hello,
	i am get the following error many times (4) when trying to execute
"sudo port upgrade installed":

--->  Building xrender
Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd "/opt/
local/var/macports/build/
_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_x11_xre
nder/work/libXrender-0.9.4" && make all " returned error 2
Command output: make  all-recursive
Making all in src
/bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC   --mode=compile /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -
DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I..   -I/opt/local/include -I/opt/local/include -
I/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/x11/
xrender/files/include -I/opt/local/include   -I/usr/X11R6/include -
DXTHREADS -I.. -I../include/X11/extensions  -O2 -MT Picture.lo -MD -
MP -MF .deps/Picture.Tpo -c -o Picture.lo Picture.c
  /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I/opt/local/include -I/
opt/local/include -I/opt/local/var/macports/sources/
rsync.macports.org/release/ports/x11/xrender/files/include -I/opt/
local/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -DXTHREADS -I.. -I../include/X11/
extensions -O2 -MT Picture.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/Picture.Tpo -c
Picture.c  -fno-common -DPIC -o .libs/Picture.o
Picture.c:29:25: error: X11/Xregion.h: No such file or directory
Picture.c: In function 'XRenderSetPictureClipRegion':
Picture.c:177: error: 'BOX' undeclared (first use in this function)
Picture.c:177: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
Picture.c:177: error: for each function it appears in.)
Picture.c:177: error: 'pb' undeclared (first use in this function)
Picture.c:182: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
Picture.c:184: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
Picture.c:184: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
Picture.c:191: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
Picture.c:193: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
make[2]: *** [Picture.lo] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

Error: Unable to upgrade port: 1

There is no /opt/local/lib/libX11/dylib on my system; but, Apple's
X11R6 is installed in /usr.  The file Xrender.h is in /opt/local/
include/extensions.  I notice in the -I path designation for the
extensions is -I../include/extensions instead of /opt/local/include/
extensions.  This is different from the other -I designations where /
opt/local precedes the directory.  This could be a problem if the
working directory is not ../ relative away from the include/
extensions directory.
Frank