Upgrading ncurses & ncursesw fails

Matthias Dietrich matt at rainboxx.de
Sat Dec 20 06:57:37 PST 2008

Hi list,

I just migrated from a MacBook Air to a new MacBook Pro.  I tried to
upgrade first all outdated ports, when failed I tried to upgrad all
installed ports (I thought there may be a problem from the migration)
but it fails also at ncurses. The installation process hangs after the
following output:

   You may see messages regarding extended capabilities, e.g., AX.
   These are extended terminal capabilities which are compiled
   using
   	tic -x
   If you have ncurses 4.2 applications, you should read the INSTALL
   document, and install the terminfo without the -x option.

I googled and found that this may be a dependency problem, so I tried
to upgrad ncursesw manually after cleaning both ncurses and ncursesw.
But upgrading ncrusesw fails, too, with the following messages:

   --->  Unable to uninstall ncursesw 5.7_0, the following ports
depend on it:
   --->    ncurses
   Warning: Uninstall forced.  Proceeding despite dependencies.
   Error: Uninstall ncursesw 5.7_0 failed: Registry error: Please
specify the name of the port.

So, ncursesw cannot be updated because it depends on ncurses, and
ncurses cannot be updated because it depends on ncursesw (which it
doesn't know).  Now, how can I do an `upgrade outdated`?

Need help :)!

Greetings,
  matt

P.S.: I noticed that there are two versions of ncurses installed:

      ncurses @5.6_0 (active)
      ncurses @5.7_0 (active)

Is this a problem?

--
rainboxx Matthias Dietrich
Freier Software Engineer

rainboxx                  |  Tel.: +49 (0) 151 / 50 60 78 64
Tölzer Str. 19            |  Mail: matt at rainboxx.de
70372 Stuttgart           |  WWW : http://www.rainboxx.de

XING: https://www.xing.com/profile/Matthias_Dietrich18
GULP: http://www.gulp.de/profil/rainboxx.html