Upgrading ncurses & ncursesw fails

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Sun Dec 21 13:18:10 PST 2008

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 05:17:17PM +0100, Matthias Dietrich said:
> Hi,
[...]
>> What were the exact commands you used to get to this point?
>
> the command was:
>  sudo port -f upgrade ncurses
>
> I used the f flag because there were errors without but I cannot
> reproduce them now (the errors without the f flag).

Forcing on anything that can traverse multiple ports because of dependencies
(like install and upgrade) can have bad results, as I believe that force is
going to be propagated to everything port touches.  In the (hopefully) very
rare situtations where you truly need to force with upgrade/install, at
least use the -n as well so it doesn't do that traversal.

[...]
>> Are there any other ports which are like this?
>
> Phew!  There are plenty of ports installed twice!  Here is the list of
> all currently installed ports:
[...lots of ports with multiple versions activated]

That definitely shouldn't be happening, only one should be active at a time;
it seems like something became really confused/corrupt in the MacPorts
database somehow.

[...]
> Could this be an issue of the migration process?  May be `rm -rf /opt`
> with a reinstallation of the macports would help? ;)

Unfortunately, at this point, it may probably be less work for you to just
restart from scratch.  Otherwise it may involve doing lots of
deactivations, activations, following dependencies, etc, to try to get
things working on the current install again.

> matt
>
> P.S.: I have problems sending mails to the list.  It's very slow and most
> of my mails don't go though (msg 1 day later: connected but greeting
> failed).  Is this a known problem?

That's the first I've heard anything about email problems, is that 'greeting
failed' coming from your sending mail server trying to connect to one of the
apple.com servers?  If so and it keeps up, see

<http://www.macosforge.org/contact/>

Bryan