Upgrading ncurses & ncursesw fails

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Dec 21 14:20:07 PST 2008

On Dec 21, 2008, at 15:10, Matthias Dietrich wrote:

>> I used the f flag because there were errors without but I cannot
>> reproduce them now (the errors without the f flag).
>
> now I know why I used the f flag: I wanted to reinstall *every*
> port which is installed because there were problems with them (gues
> the migration was a fault).

How did you do the migration?

> Now I get an error using perl with it's modules:
>
>   Errno architecture (darwin-2level-9.6.0) does not match executable
>   architecture (darwin-2level-9.2.0) at
>   /opt/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/darwin-2level/Errno.pm line 11.

Sounds like one bit was built with Mac OS X 10.5.2 and another bit
was built with Mac OS X 10.5.6 and these bits for some reason care
about that minute difference. I think that must be unique to perl
ports; usually it shouldn't matter, as long as everything is built on
the same major version of Mac OS X (e.g. 10.5.x).

> I try upgrading it and it seems to work (with the f flag).

So the bit that had been built on 10.5.2 was now rebuilt on 10.5.6
fixing the complaint.

> How can I delete the macport system and any installed modules and
> the "installed db" so I can reinstall it?  This really sucks...

Uninstall instructions are here:

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#HowdoIremoveoruninstallMacPorts