Installing gcc version 4.3.2 on Mac OS X

Roger Wehage raw915 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 23 06:25:48 PST 2008

Hi,

Is there an easy way to correct symbolic links to the executables in
gcc version 4.3.2 on Mac OS X?

I successfully installed MacPorts 1.7.0 (Darwin Ports?) on my MacBook
Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with version 10.5.6 OS. Then I
miraculously installed gcc43 version 4.3.2 with no errors. I did this
directly form MacPorts, not having a clue what I was doing. I tried to
follow the instructions on http://gcc43.darwinports.com/, but I got
lost in the chaff.

First, I didn't know what I was supposed to do with all that
information above the solid line in http://gcc43.darwinports.com/, so
I ignored it after reading through it. Then I went down to "Once
Darwin Ports has been installed, in a terminal window and while
online, type the following and hit return:"

My computer didn't have a /opt/local/bin/portslocation/dports/gcc43
subdirectory, but I found my way to /opt/local/bin/ and did a "sudo
port install gcc43" from there. All of the commands executed without
error, and all of the gcc43 files were created in the /opt/local/bin/
subdirectory.

I suspect my problem is related to not having started from an /opt/
local/bin/portslocation/dports/gcc43 subdirectory. Typing man gcc43,
etc, gives no information, because gcc43 apparently doesn't exist.
However, if I type man gcc-mp-4.3, etc., I do get the man pages for
the corresponding executables, etc.

So, is there a command somewhere that will create the correct symbolic
links to the appropriate executables, or do I have to do this myself?
For example, in /usr/bin I find symbolic links such as "gcc ->
gcc-4.0" and "g++ -> g++-4.0." I assume that I can delete these
symbolic links and create new ones pointing to the corresponding gcc-
mp-4.3 and g++-mp-4.3 executables. But I don't know what all symbolic
links need to be changed.

And... I don't want to break something.

OSX 10.5.6
Xcode 3.1.2