Can the port command take advantage of multiple cores?

Yves de Champlain yves at macports.org
Sat Feb 2 15:53:56 PST 2008

Le 08-02-02 à 13:53, skip at pobox.com a écrit :

> As the subject says, can I take advantage my my shiny new dual-core
> MacBook
> Pro?  Something like "port install -j2"?

The answer is yes and no ...

$prefix/etc/macports/macports.conf lets you specify a -j arg.

However, macports will not use it unless the Portfile says it'S OK to
do so with each specific port.  Now, very few (almost none) Portfiles
have this flag defined.  It's just too bad because most ports will
build fine with -j > 1 (I have tried over 150 ports with -j 8 and 5
have failed because of that, mostly in the destroot phase).

yves