Can the port command take advantage of multiple cores?

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sat Feb 2 17:25:11 PST 2008

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> Changes in base should not break existing ports, if at all possible.
> Ports may fail with this option enabled. Therefore it's opt-in on a
> port-by-port basis.

So every maintainer has to check for himself if his/her ports built fine
with parallel building enabled? With this approach it will last a long
time until we get real benefits of parallel building. Although many
users already own multi-core Macs and want to have faster builds...

I don't think that many ports will break with this. As Yves said, 5 out
of 150 failed for him. Tagging 5 ports is easier than tagging 150.
And it would be not a real problem if a port fails, there is always the
workaround to disable this option in macports.conf again until the
Portfile for a failing port is modified accordingly.

Rainer