Can the port command take advantage of multiple cores?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Feb 2 17:56:10 PST 2008

On Feb 2, 2008, at 19:25, Rainer Müller wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Changes in base should not break existing ports, if at all
>> possible. Ports may fail with this option enabled. Therefore it's
>> opt-in on a port-by-port basis.
>
> So every maintainer has to check for himself if his/her ports built
> fine with parallel building enabled? With this approach it will
> last a long time until we get real benefits of parallel building.
> Although many users already own multi-core Macs and want to have
> faster builds...
>
> I don't think that many ports will break with this. As Yves said, 5
> out of 150 failed for him. Tagging 5 ports is easier than tagging 150.
> And it would be not a real problem if a port fails, there is always
> the workaround to disable this option in macports.conf again until
> the Portfile for a failing port is modified accordingly.

There was a long thread on this topic leading up to the current
implementation; please review:

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2007-October/
006479.html

In particular Markus's comment here seems to exemplify why it's the
way it is:

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2007-October/
006601.html

"The point is that ports that are not given 110% love (e.g.
unmaintained ones, busy maintainers) will simply break [if parallel
builds are enabled by default] probably in spectacular non-
deterministic ways."

We have enough other problems with ports right now. Let's not make
more, especially spectacular non-deterministic ones, by enabling
parallel builds by default.