[Proposal ] Name of Python's port

js ebgssth at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 19:54:48 PST 2008

>  A mass renaming of ports would basically cause massive failures during
> upgrades (why can't any of my port dependencies activate during upgrade?)
> unless every single py-* port was DUPLICATED as a py24-* port and then made
> a non-installing dependent of the py24-* port (look in the SVN history of
> port abiword to see how we migrated multiple ports to ports with different
> names)
> I would leave existing python 2.4 ports alone for historical reasons, but
> use py[version]-* for all new ports.

You're right. So I would like to leave py-* ports *for a while* and
treat them as deprecated ports,
and user who installed deprecated ports would be warned by warnings like
"py- ports is DEPRECATED, which means no update is made in this port.
Please install py24-* instead. You're warned!"

Luckily, python24 is a bit old (The current stable is 2.5)
so I hope this would not impact so many users.