[MacPorts] #14163: Endless Avahi system.log errors

Adam Dershowitz dersh at alum.mit.edu
Sun Feb 3 11:56:56 PST 2008

On Feb 3, 2008, at 11:46 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> Le 3 févr. 08 à 19:15, Adam Dershowitz a écrit :
>
>> I have looked into this a little more.  I am not sure, but it looks
>> to me like org.macports.dbus.plist is disabled by default (at least
>> when this problem cropped up, I was showing it as disabled, so I
>> assume it started that way....or something else changed it).  In
>> other words the launchd flag in the plist is set to true for
>> disabled.  While the avahi-dnsconfd and avahi-daemon launchd are
>> set to enabled (well actually disabled is false).
>> I googled around some and found that dbus port should say this
>> during the install (although I didn't notice it at the time):
>>
>> --->  Creating launchd control script
>> ###########################################################
>> # A startup item has been generated that will aid in
>> # starting dbus with launchd. It is disabled
>> # by default. Execute the following command to start it,
>> # and to cause it to launch at startup:
>> #
>> # sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/
>> org.macports.dbus.plist
>> ###########################################################
>>
>> As I understand it a bunch of launchd stuff is not reconfigured
>> until a restart of the machine.
>
> Which part of launchd do you think requires a restart? I thought
> that one of the advantages of launchd over startupitems was that
> with launchd you can start and stop services immediately rather than
> wait for a restart which you had to do with startupitems.

I have not played with launchd much.  But I did play with Lingon just
a little bit.  It is a free gui to deal with launchd stuff.  And that
I how I realized that dbus was disabled.  When you make any changes in
stuff with that, it says that you have to logout, or restart for the
changes to take effect.  That is why I thought that might be the
case.  But I am far from a launchd expert.  It could be just a lack in
Lingon.
But what is clear is that after a reboot, my problem started.  And
then I used Lingon to see that dbus was disabled while Avahi was not.
So perhaps what actually happens is that the files are installed that
way, but at the same time when the dbus port is first installed it is
also activated, but not through launchd?  The above message sure makes
it clear that unless you manually enter the above command that dbus is
disabled and will not launch at a system start.  And I had not issued
that command when dbus was first installed at the bottom of a
dependency chain.  So I had not noticed the above message, and I was
not even sure which port installed and required dbus.

--Adam