[MacPorts] #14163: Endless Avahi system.log errors

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Feb 3 12:06:10 PST 2008

On Feb 3, 2008, at 13:56, Adam Dershowitz wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2008, at 11:46 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Le 3 févr. 08 à 19:15, Adam Dershowitz a écrit :
>>
>>> I have looked into this a little more.  I am not sure, but it
>>> looks to me like org.macports.dbus.plist is disabled by default
>>> (at least when this problem cropped up, I was showing it as
>>> disabled, so I assume it started that way....or something else
>>> changed it).  In other words the launchd flag in the plist is set
>>> to true for disabled.  While the avahi-dnsconfd and avahi-daemon
>>> launchd are set to enabled (well actually disabled is false).
>>> I googled around some and found that dbus port should say this
>>> during the install (although I didn't notice it at the time):
>>>
>>> --->  Creating launchd control script
>>> ###########################################################
>>> # A startup item has been generated that will aid in
>>> # starting dbus with launchd. It is disabled
>>> # by default. Execute the following command to start it,
>>> # and to cause it to launch at startup:
>>> #
>>> # sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/
>>> org.macports.dbus.plist
>>> ###########################################################
>>>
>>> As I understand it a bunch of launchd stuff is not reconfigured
>>> until a restart of the machine.
>>
>> Which part of launchd do you think requires a restart? I thought
>> that one of the advantages of launchd over startupitems was that
>> with launchd you can start and stop services immediately rather
>> than wait for a restart which you had to do with startupitems.
>
> I have not played with launchd much.  But I did play with Lingon
> just a little bit.  It is a free gui to deal with launchd stuff.
> And that I how I realized that dbus was disabled.  When you make
> any changes in stuff with that, it says that you have to logout, or
> restart for the changes to take effect.  That is why I thought that
> might be the case.  But I am far from a launchd expert.  It could
> be just a lack in Lingon.
> But what is clear is that after a reboot, my problem started.  And
> then I used Lingon to see that dbus was disabled while Avahi was
> not.  So perhaps what actually happens is that the files are
> installed that way, but at the same time when the dbus port is
> first installed it is also activated, but not through launchd?  The
> above message sure makes it clear that unless you manually enter
> the above command that dbus is disabled and will not launch at a
> system start.  And I had not issued that command when dbus was
> first installed at the bottom of a dependency chain.  So I had not
> noticed the above message, and I was not even sure which port
> installed and required dbus.

All I know is that when you say

	sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.foo.plist

foo is started immediately, and will start at every system startup.
And when you say

	sudo launchctl unload -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.foo.plist

foo will stop immediately, and will no longer start at system startup.

I do know specifically about dbus or Avahi. I have not used Lingon.