libtool woes

David Epstein David.Epstein at warwick.ac.uk
Mon Feb 4 00:02:11 PST 2008

Paul Beard-2 wrote:

> I am trying this regime:
>
> sudo port -f uninstall libtool
> sudo port -f uninstall apr
> sudo port install libtool
> sudo port install apr
> sudo port clean apache2
> sudo port upgrade apache2
>
> port -f overrides any complaints

This worked for me on Mac Os X 10.4.11, MacPorts 1.600.
I include the initial response of port, which shows something, I'm not sure
what.
When I originally tried to install apache2, port made no attempt to install
libtool.
Isn't this surprising in view of the first line of the log below?
So it seems that apache2 does not list its dependencies correctly, which
would explain
why everything is fine for some users but not for others. Or maybe the
problem is that there are different versions of libtool, as mentioned
previously in
this thread---I'm not sure if this makes sense.
Anyway, here is the initial output from Paul Beard's commands:

Error: port uninstall failed: Registry error: libtool not registered
as installed.
--->  Unable to uninstall apr 1.2.11_0, the following ports depend on
it:
--->    apr-util
--->    subversion
Warning: Uninstall forced.  Proceeding despite dependencies.
--->  Deactivating apr 1.2.11_0
--->  Uninstalling apr 1.2.11_0
--->  Fetching libtool
--->  Attempting to fetch libtool-1.5.24.tar.gz
fromhttp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/libtool
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for libtool
--->  Extracting libtool
--->  Configuring libtool--->  Building libtool with target all
--->  Staging libtool into destroot
--->  Installing libtool 1.5.24_1
--->  Activating libtool 1.5.24_1--->  Cleaning libtool