libtool and ImageMagick problems

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Feb 4 04:25:19 PST 2008

On Feb 4, 2008, at 05:17, Jochem Huhmann wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is the same problem as in the "libtool woes"
> thread or not.

I don't think it's related. That thread is about the error message
"unable to infer tagged configuration" which I do not see in your
output.

> On both a Tiger system with an existing and upgraded MacPorts
> system and a Leopard system with freshly installed MacPorts, trying
> to install ImageMagick results in all ImageMagick tools ending up
> as libtool-wrappers instead of the actual binaries:
>
> $ convert
> /opt/local/bin/convert: error: `/opt/local/bin/.libs/convert' does
> not exist
> This script is just a wrapper for convert.
> See the libtool documentation for more information.
>
> Indeed looking into those scripts seems to indicate that there's
> some trouble with libtool:
>
> $ head /opt/local/bin/convert
> #! /bin/sh
>
> # utilities/convert - temporary wrapper script for .libs/convert
> # Generated by ltmain.sh (GNU libtool 1.2569 2008/01/24 16:16:26) 2.1a
> #
> # The utilities/convert program cannot be directly executed until
> all the libtool
> # libraries that it depends on are installed.
> #
> # This wrapper script should never be moved out of the build
> directory.
> # If it is, it will not operate correctly.

Strange. I've never seen this before. (I'm the ImageMagick port
maintainer.)

> Sieving through the build/install output for ImageMagick yields
> some interesting things. libWand and libMagick have been built, but
> have not been installed at all:
>
> libtool: install: warning: remember to run `libtool --finish /opt/
> local/lib'
>
>   /bin/sh ./libtool --silent   --mode=install /usr/bin/install
> 'utilities/convert' '/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports
> .org_release_ports_graphics_ImageMagick/work/destroot/opt/local/bin/
> convert'
> libtool: install: warning: `magick/libMagick.la' has not been
> installed in `/opt
> /local/lib'
> libtool: install: warning: `wand/libWand.la' has not been installed
> in `/opt/loc
> al/lib'
> libtool: install: warning: `/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macport
> s_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_graphics_ImageMagick/
> work/ImageMagick
> -6.3.8/magick/libMagick.la' has not been installed in `/opt/local/lib'

I think the above are normal messages when installing most ports.

> libtool: install: warning: cannot relink `utilities/convert'

This message I'm not sure about.

> Installing libtool from MacPorts and rebuilding makes no
> difference. Symlinking the resulting /opt/local/bin/glibtool to /
> opt/local/bin/libtool then

You should not do this. It may have worked in this case, but it will
cause you problems elsewhere. This masks your system's /usr/bin/
libtool, which is not a GNU libtool and not compatible with GNU libtool.

> (and rebuilding) results in working ImageMagick binaries, though.
>
> I'm a bit lost here. What's going on?

Have you perhaps at some point messed with your /usr/bin/libtool? Or
do you have another libtool somewhere else, like in /usr/local/bin/
libtool or /sw/bin/libtool or somewhere else in your $PATH?

What version number of Mac OS X is on both systems? What version
number of Xcode? What kind of processor?