libtool and ImageMagick problems

Jochem Huhmann joh at revier.com
Mon Feb 4 05:01:14 PST 2008

On 2008-02-04, at 13:25, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2008, at 05:17, Jochem Huhmann wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure if this is the same problem as in the "libtool woes"
>> thread or not.
>
> I don't think it's related. That thread is about the error message
> "unable to infer tagged configuration" which I do not see in your
> output.

OK, it's a different problem then...

>> # This wrapper script should never be moved out of the build
>> directory.
>> # If it is, it will not operate correctly.
>
> Strange. I've never seen this before. (I'm the ImageMagick port
> maintainer.)

Hmm. Very strange indeed.

>> libtool: install: warning: `/opt/local/var/macports/build/
>> _opt_local_var_macport
>> s_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_graphics_ImageMagick/
>> work/ImageMagick
>> -6.3.8/magick/libMagick.la' has not been installed in `/opt/local/
>> lib'
>
> I think the above are normal messages when installing most ports.

Really? OK, fine (somewhat).

>> libtool: install: warning: cannot relink `utilities/convert'
>
> This message I'm not sure about.

I thought this may be related to the fact that the needed libraries
are not where libtool looks for them.

>> Installing libtool from MacPorts and rebuilding makes no
>> difference. Symlinking the resulting /opt/local/bin/glibtool to /
>> opt/local/bin/libtool then
>
> You should not do this. It may have worked in this case, but it
> will cause you problems elsewhere. This masks your system's /usr/
> bin/libtool, which is not a GNU libtool and not compatible with GNU
> libtool.

I thought so, yes. But why does it work with the GNU libtool but not
with the one supplied by Apple then?

>> (and rebuilding) results in working ImageMagick binaries, though.
>>
>> I'm a bit lost here. What's going on?
>
> Have you perhaps at some point messed with your /usr/bin/libtool?
> Or do you have another libtool somewhere else, like in /usr/local/
> bin/libtool or /sw/bin/libtool or somewhere else in your $PATH?

No, no and no. I never had any reason to mess around with libtool, no
Fink installed for a long time now and /usr/local is mostly empty. /
usr/bin/libtool is the Apple one.

> What version number of Mac OS X is on both systems? What version
> number of Xcode? What kind of processor?

The Tiger system (10.4.11 on a G4) has quite a bit of history under
its soles (upgraded from Panther and DarwinPorts), so I could believe
in having something messed up here, but the Leopard system (I think
with all updates installed) has a fresh MacPort install of a few days
ago, Xcode 3.0, Intel. Having two very different machines coming up
with the same error makes me rather look for the problem within
MacPorts.

By the way, this trouble crept up in an unlucky moment: I had just
delivered a article dealing with MacPorts to a German IT-magazine
when the editor tried to use my text to install MacPorts (worked
fine) and then to install ImageMagick (which worked not so good at
all)... I would really like to get this resolved.

	Jochem