libtool and ImageMagick problems

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Feb 4 05:21:21 PST 2008

On Feb 4, 2008, at 07:01, Jochem Huhmann wrote:

> On 2008-02-04, at 13:25, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Feb 4, 2008, at 05:17, Jochem Huhmann wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not sure if this is the same problem as in the "libtool woes"
>>> thread or not.
>>
>> I don't think it's related. That thread is about the error message
>> "unable to infer tagged configuration" which I do not see in your
>> output.
>
> OK, it's a different problem then...
>

>>> # This wrapper script should never be moved out of the build
>>> directory.
>>> # If it is, it will not operate correctly.
>>
>> Strange. I've never seen this before. (I'm the ImageMagick port
>> maintainer.)
>
> Hmm. Very strange indeed.
>

>>> libtool: install: warning: `/opt/local/var/macports/build/
>>> _opt_local_var_macport
>>> s_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_graphics_ImageMagick/
>>> work/ImageMagick
>>> -6.3.8/magick/libMagick.la' has not been installed in `/opt/local/
>>> lib'
>>
>> I think the above are normal messages when installing most ports.
>
> Really? OK, fine (somewhat).
>
>>> libtool: install: warning: cannot relink `utilities/convert'
>>
>> This message I'm not sure about.
>
> I thought this may be related to the fact that the needed libraries
> are not where libtool looks for them.
>
>>> Installing libtool from MacPorts and rebuilding makes no
>>> difference. Symlinking the resulting /opt/local/bin/glibtool to /
>>> opt/local/bin/libtool then
>>
>> You should not do this. It may have worked in this case, but it
>> will cause you problems elsewhere. This masks your system's /usr/
>> bin/libtool, which is not a GNU libtool and not compatible with
>> GNU libtool.
>
> I thought so, yes. But why does it work with the GNU libtool but
> not with the one supplied by Apple then?

I don't know right now. I do have the libtool port installed on my
Tiger/Intel system. I can try removing that port and see if
ImageMagick still builds. But I don't have the symlink you made.

>>> (and rebuilding) results in working ImageMagick binaries, though.
>>>
>>> I'm a bit lost here. What's going on?
>>
>> Have you perhaps at some point messed with your /usr/bin/libtool?
>> Or do you have another libtool somewhere else, like in /usr/local/
>> bin/libtool or /sw/bin/libtool or somewhere else in your $PATH?
>
> No, no and no. I never had any reason to mess around with libtool,
> no Fink installed for a long time now and /usr/local is mostly
> empty. /usr/bin/libtool is the Apple one.
>
>> What version number of Mac OS X is on both systems? What version
>> number of Xcode? What kind of processor?
>
> The Tiger system (10.4.11 on a G4) has quite a bit of history under
> its soles (upgraded from Panther and DarwinPorts), so I could
> believe in having something messed up here, but the Leopard system
> (I think with all updates installed) has a fresh MacPort install of
> a few days ago, Xcode 3.0, Intel. Having two very different
> machines coming up with the same error makes me rather look for the
> problem within MacPorts.
>
> By the way, this trouble crept up in an unlucky moment: I had just
> delivered a article dealing with MacPorts to a German IT-magazine
> when the editor tried to use my text to install MacPorts (worked
> fine) and then to install ImageMagick (which worked not so good at
> all)... I would really like to get this resolved.

I would like to get it resolved too. Could I ask you to please file a
ticket in our issue tracker and assign it to me? I'll see what I can do.

http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets