libtool woes

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Mon Feb 4 10:03:57 PST 2008

Zak Mc Kracken wrote:

>>> libtool: compile: unable to infer tagged configuration
>>> libtool: compile: specify a tag with `--tag'
>> This problem is since the change to "/usr/bin/gcc-4.0" for CC.
>> Switching compiler back to "gcc" (or "gcc-4.0") makes it work.
>> Something like: port build configure.cc=gcc configure.cxx=g++

> Please, could someone explain what "port build configure.cc=gcc
> configure.cxx=g++" means? Do I have to downgrade gcc? How?

If the problem is that libtool thinks the compiler is "gcc",
and macports is passing "/usr/bin/gcc-4.0" instead - then
it can be worked around by adding similar such parameters:
sudo port build apache2 configure.cc=gcc configure.cxx=g++

Or you can try rebuilding libtool, as suggested elsewhere.

> I have been trying to have apache2 + php5 + mysql5 working on my Mac
> for two days. I think changes to a resource like port should be made
> only after extensive testing (or am I using an unstable version?).
> It's all so frustrating...

Sorry to hear that. I think the change was made for 1.5.1.

--anders