Is HFS really "scary"?

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 18:49:22 PST 2008

Did anyone notice Linus Torvold's calling the HFS file system "scary" in
Australia recently? Here's the link:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/torvalds-pans-apples-os-x/2008/02/05/1202090393959.html

"I don't think they're equally flawed - I think Leopard is a much better
system," he said. "(But) OS X in some ways is actually worse than Windows to
program for. Their file system is complete and utter crap, which is scary."

If HFS is really scary, I wonder what the trend is looking like for ZFS?
Will MacPorts be capable of working with ZFS file systems? Unfortunately,
after Linus says something like this, my boss gets worried and asks me
questions like this and makes him feel less confident about having an
Xserve. :-(

Thanks,

T.M.