Is HFS really "scary"?

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Wed Feb 6 06:28:02 PST 2008

On Feb 6, 2008, at 7:17 AM, David Corking wrote:

> He is known for exaggeration.  He once called all C++ programmers
> unspeakable names on a mailing list.

It's also worth noting that "scary" can mean "I don't understanding
it".  While I think it is a mistake to try to micro-analyze everything
that comes out of Linus' mouth, I really don't think he was saying
that he finds HFS+ unsafe to use.

> I personally am I bit frustrated with HFS+, as I experienced
> first-hand the limits of its fsck utility (*).   But I am no
> filesystem expert, and my one anecdote would not be enough to justify
> a 'crappy' label.

The only problem that I've ever had (and I'm no expert either) is when
I'd installed
the perl script for fetching HTTP headers in

   /usr/local/bin/HEAD

and found latter when I called the traditional head(1) (which lives
further down the PATH in /usr/bin) HEAD was picked up instead of head.

I must admit that I find case distinction in HFS "scary" (meaning I
don't understand it.)

-j