[Proposal ] Name of Python's port

js ebgssth at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 23:10:36 PST 2008

Let me summarize this discussion.

I proposed that MacPorts should use py24- prefix instead of py- for
all Python 2.4 ports
because

- The python other than 2.4 uses this naming convention.
- py- for 2.4 is not intuitive

Suggested migration plan:
- Copy existing py-* ports to py24-* and leave all py-ports as it for a while
- Rename all py24-ports to to requires py24-* ports
- Add warnings to py-* ports's post-install, saying "This is obsolete.
Please use py24-* insetad"
- Update py24-* ports only, make py-*'s obsolete

This request, however, was rejected for the following reasons

- There're already a mass amount of py-* ports in the source tree. (336 or more)
- A mass renaming of ports would cause massive failures during upgrades
- Python2.4 is old (2.5 is current stable) so the work is not worth the effort.

Actually, I still believe this fix is worth the effort.
I think that as long as py-* ports exists, users will possibly make a mistake,
but I'll gave up the idea because no one think that's good thing to do...

In any event, thanks for every comments you gave me.