[Proposal ] Name of Python's port

Robert M. Zigweid tigran at tigransoft.org
Mon Feb 11 10:49:34 PST 2008

I've seen this issue brought up a few times while I've been lurking on
the list, and this naming convention has always confused me a bit and
caused a fair amount of irritation (especially when I had 2.5
installed, and some other app went in and compiled and installed 2.4
for me.)

So, my question is this, and my apologies if it's already been
answered.  Why does macports even have this problem?

I can absolutely understand wanting to have multiple versions of
python on the system.  That's not what I'm contesting.  But the other
packages?  It just doesn't make sense to me to duplicate that work.
Why can't this be handled with varients?  In many cases, it might be
something as simple as to symlink the package files from one of the
lib directories to the other.  Even in more complicated setups, where
there might additional work required, I don't understand why variants
aren't used for this.