Specifying an install directory

paul beard paulbeard at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 12:47:06 PST 2008

On Feb 10, 2008 8:39 PM, Eric Soli <eric_soli at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am attempting to install pear-base into /usr/bin
> instead of /opt/local/bin. My best understanding from
> the man page is that I should use:
>
> bash$ sudo port -D /usr/bin install pear-base
>
> but it still ends up in /opt/local. Is there a way
> plant this pear tree next to /usr/bin/php?

You don't say why you want to do this or why the source tarball/distribution
doesn't work for you. It looks, from reading the INSTALL file, that it is
best installed by and within the php process.

> Unix

====

make sure you have enabled default extensions, and if you want faster

downloads, enable the zlib extension.  You must also enable the CLI

SAPI with the --enable-cli extension directive.  After this, simply run:

make install-pear

and PEAR will be automatically configured for you.

go-pear

=======

For users who cannot perform the above steps, or who wish to obtain the

latest PEAR with a slightly higher risk of failure, use go-pear.  go-pear

is obtained by downloading http://go-pear.org and saving it as go-pear.php.

After downloading, simply run "php go-pear.php" or open it in a web browser

(windows only) to download and install PEAR.

Seems like you could use the system php to perform the second operation.
--
Paul Beard / www.paulbeard.org/
<paulbeard at gmail.com/paulbeard at gmail.com>