Macports On Pure Darwin

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Sun Feb 17 14:42:59 PST 2008

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> This topic was, in any case, hashed out rather thoroughly back when
> the project changed its name from DarwinPorts to MacPorts.   GIven
> the plethora of projects already devoted to multi-platform ports
> collections (portage, pkgsrc, etc) and the relative shortage of
> contributors just on one platform (MacOSX), it was decided to focus
> on providing the best possible experience for MacOSX, anything else
> being considered a distraction.

MacPorts is still reasonably portable, it's just that it makes more
sense to try it with living platforms (like FreeBSD or GNU/Linux) for
portability purposes than to try it with dead ones like Darwin OS -
at least to me.
If one wanted to use for instance Darwin 8.0.1 for some reason, then
one could use an archive version of DarwinPorts (like 1.2 that I
used) to aid in that archeological excavation - you probably wouldn't
need MacPorts 1.6

The project doesn't seem to have decided yet whether it wants to
provide the best possible Mac OS X experience, or whether it wants to
e.g. provide its own bootstrap versions of all the required system
libraries and binaries ?
So currently other operating systems are tolerated, as long as they
a) provide the necessary requirements, such as Tcl and Foundation and
b) don't get in the way of the Mac development, and the platform
variants should handle that.

Somehow I have the nagging feeling that a pure "Mac" Ports would be
more gooey and binary, but that's just me...

--anders