gtk2 universal -- docbook-xsl "conflict"

jiho jo.irisson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 05:56:32 PST 2008

Hi everyone,

I am trying to get gtk2 to compile as universal in MacPorts. The final
goal is to compile a program (Inkscape) against universal libraries,
so that the application itself is universal.

When trying to install gtk2 +universal I get this error message:

$ sudo port -d install gtk2 +universal
[snip]
DEBUG: Found port in file:///opt/local-univ/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/textproc/docbook-xsl
DEBUG: Changing to port directory: /opt/local-univ/var/macports/
sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/textproc/docbook-xsl
DEBUG: Requested variant darwin is not provided by port docbook-xsl.
DEBUG: Requested variant i386 is not provided by port docbook-xsl.
DEBUG: Requested variant macosx is not provided by port docbook-xsl.
DEBUG: Executing variant universal provides universal
DEBUG: Default universal variant only works with ports based on
configure
     while executing
"variant-universal"
     invoked from within
"catch "variant-${name}" result"
Error: Error executing universal: Default universal variant only works
with ports based on configure
DEBUG: Error evaluating variants
     while executing
"error "Error evaluating variants""
     (procedure "mportopen" line 51)
     invoked from within
"mportopen $porturl $options $variations"
     (procedure "mportdepends" line 62)
     invoked from within
"mportdepends $subport "" $recurseDeps $skipSatisfied $accDeps"
     (procedure "mportdepends" line 87)
     invoked from within
"mportdepends $mport $target"
     (procedure "mportexec" line 21)
     invoked from within
"mportexec $workername $target"
Error: Unable to execute port: Error evaluating variants

docbook-xsl is required by gtk-doc on which gtk2 build-depends. So my
question is two fold:

- first, in a situation like this, the objective is to get gtk2 to be
universal. so all the lib-depends should also be universal, but,
ideally, if the universal variant of a build-depend port is not
available, it should just be built non universally since it won't have
any influence on the "universality" of gtk2 in the end (as far as I
understand these matters). I guess this situation may be quit common
and not restricted to gtk at all so is there a general rule here?

- then, about this particular problem, what is the recommended course
of action, if any? I could install all dependencies of GTK manually as
universal and then build gtk2 +universal with the -n option so that it
does not check for docbook-xsl... but that's quite a pain. I remarked
that perl5.8 for example, which is also required by gtk-doc, is
silently built as non universal because it has the universal_variant
property set to "no". Should I do the same with docbook-xsl (and
probably all docbook ports which are just interpreted files) and
provide a patch?

Thanks in advance for your help.

JiHO
---