MacPorts caching of distfiles [was Re: ntfs-3g 1.1120 source missing]

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Feb 22 19:11:47 PST 2008

William Siegrist wrote:
> I already made the offer to portmgr a while back, so they know.  I
> think there needs to be some added API to macports in order to make
> the engineering a little cleaner server-side, but there hasnt been
> much discussion yet.  So if anyone wants to take the lead on behalf of
> MacPorts, I'll help/support whatever we come up with for accomplishing
> the mirroring.

One of these things would be how we would push files on the mirror? If
we keep master_sites we could use something like `port fetch all' in a
cronjob or in a post-commit hook. But that will have the problem that it
currently port fetch will not remove old distfiles. So this would need
improvement.
Alternatively committers would have to upload there files manually which
would be more work for them and also more error-prone.

And I think we should move this discussion to macports-dev at .

Rainer