MacPorts caching of distfiles [was Re: ntfs-3g 1.1120 source missing]

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Fri Feb 22 21:55:22 PST 2008

On Feb 22, 2008, at 9:34 PM, William Siegrist wrote:

> We dont really see any dips in server load, so waiting until night
> (or any time in particular) doesnt buy us anything.  I'm assuming
> you still agree with only fetching distfiles when they change, and
> we already have all the work done for this sort of post-commit job,
> so batching them just delays their availability.

If you're already happy with the infrastructure required in MacPorts
to make distfile fetching work, I withdraw my suggestion.  The goal
wasn't to reduce load on the server, the goal was to use existing
mechanisms and require minimal changes to macports given the relative
paucity of "base hackers" the project currently suffers from.

- Jordan