MacPorts caching of distfiles [was Re: ntfs-3g 1.1120 source missing]

William Siegrist wsiegrist at apple.com
Sat Feb 23 08:05:51 PST 2008

I didnt mean to add any unnecessary work for MP. My main point was
that per-commit versus daily is the same work for me. I dont have any
hard stats, but I suppose most Portfile changes result in some sort of
distfile change (most are version bumps?), so we can probably just
make it work with a "port fetch". We already go through the trouble of
pulling aside a fresh copy of the Portfile during post-commit for
linting, so we can just add in the fetch at that point.

So whats left? I think you'll want a special hostname for these? Maybe http://distfiles.macports.org/

-Bill

On Feb 22, 2008, at 9:55 PM, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> On Feb 22, 2008, at 9:34 PM, William Siegrist wrote:
>
>> We dont really see any dips in server load, so waiting until night
>> (or any time in particular) doesnt buy us anything.  I'm assuming
>> you still agree with only fetching distfiles when they change, and
>> we already have all the work done for this sort of post-commit job,
>> so batching them just delays their availability.
>
> If you're already happy with the infrastructure required in MacPorts
> to make distfile fetching work, I withdraw my suggestion.  The goal
> wasn't to reduce load on the server, the goal was to use existing
> mechanisms and require minimal changes to macports given the
> relative paucity of "base hackers" the project currently suffers from.
>
> - Jordan

----
William Siegrist
Software Support Engineer