MacPorts caching of distfiles [was Re: ntfs-3g 1.1120 source missing]

Jochen Küpper kuepper.jochen at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 24 12:24:09 PST 2008

On 22.02.2008, at 22:14, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Pretty much all the major port collections projects provide a
> distfile cache and I think it's time that MacPorts did as well.

One point to consider in this discussion is that some ports' software
license might not allow this caching. Therefore, it should be possible
to bypass the cache from within the Portfile.

For example, the molden Port has the following caveat: ... "given that
the source-code is always downloaded from the authors webpage and we
add a banner asking users to register at the following web-page: http://www.cmbi.ru.nl/molden/form.html
"
This has to do with scientific funding and the necessary proof of
usage of the program.

Greetings,
Jochen
         Sex, drugs and rock-n-roll