MacPorts caching of distfiles [was Re: ntfs-3g 1.1120 source missing]

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Sun Feb 24 08:04:14 PST 2008

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

>> Before fetching all the files, it would probably nice to fix the
>> timestamps so that they correctly reflect the upstream distfile ?
>
> I guess I'm missing something.  Why is this important?   Distfiles
> are essentially opaque to the MacPorts user, so what would be the
> point of going to extra trouble to sync a timestamp from some
> remote server (which might not even have the correct time - I've
> seen some pretty wacky timestamps out there on the net)?

It's more important that the checksum matches, but I think it is nice
to keep the timestamp.

Of course, then you have broken systems such as SVN which doesn't
even *add* a timestamp...
(making for instance the MacPorts tarballs look like they were last
modified today instead)

But actual modification times are of course also inside the tarball,
so it's not crucial.

--anders