latest bash

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Feb 24 17:24:44 PST 2008

Peter Hindrichs wrote:
> Ok thanks for that, I am all for the safer and easier solution.
> However for my edification I would like to understand what I am doing
> here.
> This is what I have when I look at my path:
>
> Freedom:~ peterhin$ $PATH
> -bash: /opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/
> usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin: No such file or directory
>
> I believe from one of the earlier posts that only the first  /opt/
> local/bin:  is looked at, is this correct.?

Yes, it's correct for the things you type in. /opt/local is searched
first, then the other paths from the list.

But I assume, currently your terminal application runs your login shell.
The login shell itself is stored at another location with it's full
path. In many UNIX like systems, this is in /etc/passwd but for Mac OS X
the users are administrated by a daemon called DirectoryService. The
information can be queried and changed by dscl. chsh may have been
patched to access it, I don't know.

So by default, your login shell is /bin/bash with this path and no
other. PATH will not be used at all.

Rainer

PS: Please always hit `Reply All' in your mail program instead of
`Reply' so your mail also goes to the mailing list and not only to one
person.