Some confusion about XFree86

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 16:23:14 PST 2008

On 1/1/08, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Jan 1, 2008, at 18:03, Tabitha McNerney wrote:

[SNIP]

As I explained, "Ports that depend on XFree86 only do so in the event
> that you have not installed Apple X11." To take your example of
> pango, look at how the dependency is defined in the pango portfile:
>
> depends_lib \
>          lib:libX11.6:XFree86 \
>
> That means: it depends on the library libX11.6, and if that library
> does not exist, then install it via the XFree86 port. libX11.6 will
> already exist on your system if Apple X11 is installed, therefore the
> XFree86 port will not be installed.

Hmm ... ok, I must have done something without realizing it or basing off of
my Tiger documentation because I have the X11 app and I could swear that I
installed the X11 headers from the Leopard Server DVD. Thanks again for
reinforcing this.

-T.M.