Some confusion about XFree86

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Tue Jan 1 19:38:45 PST 2008

On Jan 1, 2008, at 4:14 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> As I explained, "Ports that depend on XFree86 only do so in the
> event that you have not installed Apple X11." To take your example
> of pango, look at how the dependency is defined in the pango portfile:

I think Tabitha's question suggests another, however.  Given that the
center of gravity has clearly shifted over to X.org (and the fact that
Jeremy Huddleston and Ben Byer have substantially evolved that code
base over what shipped in Leopard, said collection of packages / git
branch checkouts needing a bit of manual labor to currently install),
why is XFree86 the fall back at all?   Even if the intention is not to
install it, it seems like there should still be a more sensible
default now.

- Jordan