Rebuild after Xcode update?

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Tue Jan 1 19:36:13 PST 2008

On Wed, January 2, 2008 8:18 am, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Dec 31, 2007, at 23:19, Skip Montanaro wrote:
>
>> I'm currently using Xcode 2.2.1 and am having trouble building the
>> Python
>> 2.5 port.  A little searching suggested I should update my Xcode,
>> so I'm
>> downloading the Xcode 2.5 image as I write this.
>>
>> Once I've updated my Xcode installation, what should I do on the
>> MacPorts
>> side of things?  Is there some way to say "rebuild all" or do I
>> just plow
>> ahead with the Python 2.5 install and ignore the fact that
>> everything else
>> was built up to that point with Xcode 2.2.1?
>
> There isn't a way to say "rebuild all" that I know of. I'm not sure
> if it's necessary. I would begin with the assumption that it is not
> necessary. Just upgrade to Xcode 2.5 and then install whatever ports
> you wanted to install.

I think that, should you find it necessary, a forced upgrade of all your
installed ports (sudo port -ufn upgrade installed) has the effect of
rebuilding everything that you have installed.  (The -n is needed to avoid
unnecessary multiple rebuilds of ports that are dependencies of others --
this is a bug in MacPorts; -u is needed to uninstall the installed ports
so that the the automatic reinstallation works properly).

As for the compatibility of code built with Xcode 2.5 with that built with
Xcode 2.2.1, I think that they should be largely compatible, as my reading
of the release notes from 2.2.1 to 2.5 is that there have only been
bugfixes and feature enhancements to Xcode's GCC in that time, rather than
any deliberate compatibility-breaking changes.  If that's the case, any
incompatibilities ought to be due to incorrect code produced by Xcode.

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

--
Boey Maun Suang