Incredible speed ups on Leopard!?

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 12:22:54 PST 2008

Has anyone else noticed incredible MacPorts speed up improvements when
installing various ports?

Here's an example: The same hardware (Xserve Intel 2 x 2 GhZ Dual Core
Intel). Once this machine was running Tiger Server with MacPorts 1.5.0 and I
installed the gcc41 port which (if my notes are accurate) took about
88minutes to install from beginning to end (some of the time could
have been
eaten up in the "fetching" of the resource source files). Anyway, the same
port on Leopard Server on the same machine with MacPort 1.6.0 took me
roughly 20 minutes to install today. From 88 to 20 minutes is almost unheard
of. I checked the port files too, to make sure the version of the gcc41 port
I was installing was the same:

Tiger Server:

gcc41 4.1.2, Revision 2, lang/gcc41 (Variants: universal, darwin_8,
> darwin_i386, powerpc, odcctools)

Leopard Server:

gcc41 4.1.2, Revision 2, lang/gcc41 (Variants: universal, darwin_8,
> darwin_i386, powerpc, odcctools)

I presume this is because Leopard and Leopard Server are now leveraging the
Apple Developer tools with a complete 64-bit wide architecture (both the
hardware and the software)?

Thanks,

T.M.