MacPorts 1.6 still supports OS X 10.3 Panther?

Walt Pawley walt at wump.org
Wed Jan 2 16:12:22 PST 2008

At 8:12 AM -0700 12/29/07, Chris Janton wrote:
>I would be glad to help figure things out for Panther. I don't expect
>to be upgrading that OS for some time (long) so having a working,
>viable MacPorts is important to me.

Sadly, supporting older versions of Mac OS X is not something
the MacPorts effort has been "up" for. The excuse is always the
same - no one else is using that old stuff. Which bothers me
just a bit as I see far more Mac users not using the latest
stuff than I do those who bleed along with the progressing edge
and not just because I look in a mirror once a day at least.

I could be wrong, but I suspect that the gestalt of the
MacPorts effort would have to change to capture old source
distributions of the ports referenced files before it'd make a
lot of sense to "retain compatibility".
--

Walter M. Pawley <walt at wump.org>
Wump Research & Company