MacPorts 1.6 still supports OS X 10.3 Panther?

Markus Weissmann mww at macports.org
Thu Jan 3 04:11:53 PST 2008

On 3 Jan 2008, at 01:12, Walt Pawley wrote:

> At 8:12 AM -0700 12/29/07, Chris Janton wrote:
>> I would be glad to help figure things out for Panther. I don't expect
>> to be upgrading that OS for some time (long) so having a working,
>> viable MacPorts is important to me.
>
> Sadly, supporting older versions of Mac OS X is not something
> the MacPorts effort has been "up" for. The excuse is always the
> same - no one else is using that old stuff. Which bothers me
> just a bit as I see far more Mac users not using the latest
> stuff than I do those who bleed along with the progressing edge
> and not just because I look in a mirror once a day at least.
>
> I could be wrong, but I suspect that the gestalt of the
> MacPorts effort would have to change to capture old source
> distributions of the ports referenced files before it'd make a
> lot of sense to "retain compatibility".

It is not like we actively oppose supporting 10.3, but our manpower is
very limited and some maintainers might even have access to either
10.4 or 10.5 only.
So if you want to work on a "long term support" version of ports,
you're welcome to join us -- we'll see if perhaps an alternative ports
tree could be a solution to this problem.

Regards,

-Markus

--
Dipl. Inf. (FH) Markus W. Weissmann