ocaml fails on Tiger (was: Re: sudo port install mldonkey)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jan 4 10:05:14 PST 2008

On Jan 4, 2008, at 09:41, Charlse Darwin wrote:

> On Dec 26, 2007, at 8:14 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> This bug has already been reported:
>>
>> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/13583
>
> # I installed ocaml from precompiled binary
>
> # <http://caml.inria.fr/pub/distrib/ocaml-3.10/ocaml-3.10.0-ppc.dmg>
>
> $ sudo port clean --dist --archive --work  mldonkey
> --->  Cleaning mldonkey
> $ sudo port clean --dist --archive --work  ocaml
> Password:
> --->  Cleaning ocaml
> $ sudo port clean --dist --archive --work  mldonkey
> --->  Cleaning mldonkey
> Mac:~ pm$ sudo port -f install mldonkey
> --->  Fetching ocaml
> --->  Attempting to fetch ocaml-3.10.0.tar.bz2 from http://
> caml.inria.fr/pub/distrib/ocaml-3.10/
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for ocaml
> --->  Extracting ocaml
> --->  Applying patches to ocaml
> --->  Configuring ocaml
> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure:
> shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_lang_
> ocaml/work/ocaml-3.10.0" && ./configure -prefix /opt/local -no-tk "
> returned error 2
> Command output: sed: 1: "s/-[^-]*$//": RE error: brackets ([ ]) not
> balanced
> ../gnu/config.sub: line 128: [: !=: unary operator expected
> Invalid configuration `powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0': machine `' not
> recognized
> Please specify the correct host type with the -host option
>
> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: lablgtk ocaml
> $
>
> # How do I get it to skip ocaml?

There isn't a built-in way to do that. MacPorts is designed not to
make use of any software you install outside of MacPorts. You could
possibly modify the portfile to look for ocaml in a different
directory. But what we would really like is for someone to figure out
why the ocaml port fails to build, and fix it.