MacPorts 1.6 still supports OS X 10.3 Panther?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jan 5 18:03:31 PST 2008

On Jan 5, 2008, at 19:52, Chris Janton wrote:

> On 2008-01-05 , at 18:21 , Kevin Ballard wrote:
>
>> Ok, I've just replaced the if-else statement that used this info
>> command with a try-catch block instead, to see if that makes any
>> difference (r32514). Please update to HEAD, reinstall port, and
>> see if the problem remains.
>>
>> If the problem persists, please pass the -d switch and see if you
>> can't get a backtrace out of it.
>
> uhhh - now I am lost.
>
> update to HEAD? I'm not sure what you want me to do. I'm a "port
> sync" and/or "port selfupdate" kind of guy.
> I'm willing to learn ;-)

Then you're going to need to become a "check out the source from
Subversion and build it by hand" kind of guy to help us resolve this.

You need the subversion port installed, if you don't have it already.

Then you need to check out the current code from the HEAD of trunk,
configure it, build it, and install it.

$ svn checkout http://svn.macosforge.org/repository/macports/trunk/base
$ cd base
$ ./configure --enable-readline
$ make
$ sudo make install

This will overwrite your existing MacPorts base in /opt/local. (It
will not affect your installed ports.)

If you want to install it to a different directory for testing
instead, which might be a good idea, you can do this configure step
instead:

$ ./configure --enable-readline --prefix=/tmp/macports --with-
tclpackage=/tmp/macports/share/macports/Tcl --with-install-user=YOU --
with-install-group=YOU

where "YOU" is your Mac OS X username. This will install into /tmp/
macports. You can then run port with /tmp/macports/bin/port.