MacPorts 1.6 still supports OS X 10.3 Panther?

Chris Janton face at CentosPrime.COM
Sun Jan 6 07:37:42 PST 2008

On 2008-01-05 , at 19:03 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> Then you're going to need to become a "check out the source from
> Subversion and build it by hand" kind of guy to help us resolve this.
>
> You need the subversion port installed, if you don't have it already.
>
> Then you need to check out the current code from the HEAD of trunk,
> configure it, build it, and install it.
>
> $ svn checkout http://svn.macosforge.org/repository/macports/trunk/
> base
> $ cd base
> $ ./configure --enable-readline
> $ make
> $ sudo make install
>
> This will overwrite your existing MacPorts base in /opt/local. (It
> will not affect your installed ports.)
>
> If you want to install it to a different directory for testing
> instead, which might be a good idea, you can do this configure step
> instead:

I could have "cheated" and grabbed an svn client - but...
I re-did MacPorts 1.5 so I could "port"

house54 29 # port --version
MacPorts 1.700
Entering interactive mode... ("help" for help, "quit" to quit)
[s/base] > quit
Goodbye
house54 30 # port cat tree
# $Id: Portfile 32371 2007-12-28 09:23:15Z boeyms at macports.org $
PortSystem              1.0

name                    tree
version                 1.5.1.1
categories              sysutils
maintainers             nomaintainer
description             display tree-view of directories with
optional color/HTML output
long_description        Tree is a simple utility that displays a \
                                         tree-view of directories and
files. It has \
                                         options to use ANSI color
escape-sequences or \
                                         ASCII graphic characters,
and can also output in \
                                         HTML format.  Tree was
written by Steve Baker \
                                         for Linux.
master_sites    ftp://mama.indstate.edu/linux/tree/
extract.suffix  .tgz
checksums               md5 f8fc70a9260b50bf8b4613e9d5f5e589
platforms               darwin

patchfiles              patch-tree.c.diff

use_configure           no

build.args              CFLAGS="-no-cpp-precomp"

destroot.args   BINDIR=${destroot}${prefix}/bin \
                                 MANDIR=${destroot}${prefix}/share/
man/man1
post-destroot {
         xinstall -d -m 0755 ${destroot}${prefix}/share/doc/${name}
         xinstall -m 0644 -W ${worksrcpath} README CHANGES LICENSE \
                 ${destroot}${prefix}/share/doc/${name}
}

house54 31 # port install tree
Error: Unable to execute port: can't create directory "/opt/local/var/
macports/build/
_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_sysutil
s_tree": permission denied
house54 32 # sudo port install tree
invalid command name "ui_prefix"

8)