MacPorts 1.6 still supports OS X 10.3 Panther?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jan 6 16:25:13 PST 2008

On Jan 6, 2008, at 18:08, Chris Janton wrote:

> On 2008-01-06 , at 14:44 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Ok, so you've discovered that Kevin's latest attempt did not fix
>> the issue.
>>
>> Perhaps you could try what I suggested to discover which change
>> caused the issue in the first place?
>>
>> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2008-January/
>> 008061.html
>

>> Probably what we should do first is determine the specific commit /
>> revision / changeset that broke the build on Panther. I don't think
>> we've established that yet. My wild guess was revision 29498. To test
>> whether that's the culprit, check out trunk at r29497 and build it on
>> Panther. If it builds, then check out trunk at r29498 and build it.
>> If it fails, then r29498 broke the build, and we can further analyze
>> the changes made in that revision.
>
> OK. I can do that. Just a tiny bit more help (I'm good at following
> directions, but not so good at understanding the ins and outs of svn)
>
> How do I
>
> 	"check out trunk at r29497"
>
> I assume that the configure, make, sudo make install apply for all
> of the tests.
> Once I figure out how to check out the right copy of the source I
> can apply the same method again (and again, and again...)

Well, nevermind, since I wasn't paying attention, and the error
message you're getting now is different from the error message you
were getting before, so it looks like Kevin did find the cause, and
he has committed hopefully a fix for the next error you're seeing,
and you should just update your working copy of base and build and
install it (cd base; make clean; svn update; ./configure --enable-
readline etc etc; make; make install; try using port again).

FYI, if you wanted to get a different (previous) revision, you would
e.g. "svn update -r 29497" instead of "svn update".