Bus Errors with Perl/Tk

David Blank-Edelman dnb at ccs.neu.edu
Sun Jan 6 18:02:09 PST 2008

Hi-

I haven't seen any mention of this in the archives, so I'm wondering
if anyone else has seen this problem. I'm trying to run another
package from MacPorts called "cssh" which is essentially a Perl/Tk
script. I've done every permutation of install/uninstall/clean I can
think of for perl5.8, tcl/tk8.5 and p5-tk but I still get a situation
where every Perl/Tk script (even as simple as just "use Tk;") bites
the dust with this backtrace:

rogram received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
Reason: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at address: 0x00000000
0x003f550f in boot_Tk__Event ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x003f550f in boot_Tk__Event ()
#1  0x00077f3f in Perl_pp_entersub ()
#2  0x0006f295 in Perl_runops_standard ()
#3  0x0000466a in Perl_call_sv ()
#4  0x0000495d in Perl_call_list ()
#5  0x0003f36c in Perl_newATTRSUB ()
#6  0x0003fc9f in Perl_utilize ()
#7  0x0002d8c8 in Perl_yyparse ()
#8  0x000a3f35 in S_doeval ()
#9  0x000abc30 in Perl_pp_require ()
#10 0x0006f295 in Perl_runops_standard ()
#11 0x0000466a in Perl_call_sv ()
#12 0x0000495d in Perl_call_list ()
#13 0x0003f36c in Perl_newATTRSUB ()
#14 0x0003fc9f in Perl_utilize ()
#15 0x0002d8c8 in Perl_yyparse ()
#16 0x0000847e in S_parse_body ()
#17 0x00009c66 in perl_parse ()
#18 0x0000197f in main ()

I have a sneaking suspicion that this may either be:
   1) due to a mismatch between p5-tk which describes itself as being
version  804.027 and Tk which is 8.5.0.
   2) related to the Tk 8.5 upgrade problem (http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/13678
) which also bit me
   3) be a conflict with something that ships with Leopard

p5-tk doesn't appear to have a maintainer so I have to throw myself on
the mercy of the mailing list. Does anybody have any suggestions on
how to fix or at least start tracking down the problem? Thanks for any
help you can offer.

       -- dNb