mod_ssl, Apache2 and Leopard with patch -- doesn't work

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 20:17:36 PST 2008

Guido,

I can confirm that your solution that you eloquently described
aforementioned works perfectly -- the namespace error when running Apache2
with mod_ssl.so loaded on Leopard Server (10.5.1 Server) with MacPorts
1.6.0apache version
2.2.6 is alleviated completely. I think ticket # 13182 should be updated per
your solution.

However, please note that I have not yet tried to do anything over SSL with
certificates, etc. Also, I am not sure if this will alleviate the perhaps
related problem with Subversion when communicating with Subversion over SSL
with Apache (or there is also the option to communicate with Subversion over
SSL independent of Apache's mod_dav_svn.so module):

http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#ssl-negotiation-error

When performing Subversion operations involving a lot of data over SSL, I
> get the error SSL negotiation failed: SSL error: decryption failed or bad
> record mac.
> This can occur due to a problem with OpenSSL 0.9.8. Downgrading to an
> older version (or possibly upgrading to a newer version) is known to fix
> this issue.

So maybe for now its best to treat the SSL / Subversion problem separate
from Apache-with-SSL-and-Subversion.

I have some additional tickets to contribute information to later today so I
will add your fix to ticket 13182 unless you prefer to do this.

Thanks,

T.M.