Confused dependencies?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jan 10 20:38:11 PST 2008

On Jan 10, 2008, at 22:24, Braden McDaniel wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 21:54 -0600, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Jan 10, 2008, at 18:30, Braden McDaniel wrote:
>>
>>> I'm presented with the following:

>>> There were two other versions of gtk2 installed; but port let me
>>> uninstall them.
>>>
>>> I'm assuming things have fallen into some confused state. How might
>>> I fix it?
>>
>> Are you just referring to the fact that "gtk2" is printed three times
>> as a dependency, though it's only installed once? If so, then that's
>> a well-known (but still unfixed) bug:
>>
>> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/8763
>
> Not "just" that; if this were only cosmetic, I wouldn't care much.
>
> I'm referring to the fact that port won't let me uninstall the
> inactive
> tiff because there are apparently bogus dependencies around. The lone
> installed (and active) gtk2 should be using the active tiff
> installation.
>
> This is just a particular instance of a problem that now pervades my
> MacPorts installation.

That issue, too, pervades all our MacPorts installations. It's
expected behavior, until someone reworks that aspect of how MacPorts
works.

gtk2 depends on tiff. Any tiff port you attempt to uninstall will
generate this message, even if it's inactive and you have another one
installed that's active. This is the ticket for this bug:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/12344

In this case, it is most probably safe to forcibly uninstall the
older inactive tiff.

sudo port -f uninstall tiff @3.8.2_0+darwin_8