View of non maintained packages

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jan 13 23:57:18 PST 2008

On Jan 13, 2008, at 17:37, Rolf Würdemann wrote:

> Am 14.01.2008 um 00:21 schrieb Rainer Müller:
>
>> Rolf Würdemann wrote:
>>
>>> But it seems that we need more committers before asking on
>>> the website - if we get mainatiners for a quarter of the ports
>>> there will be much work (if my case with the one to three weeks
>>> was not a single case) ;)
>>
>> Maybe we should have someone who is responsible for committing
>> updates
>> for particular port categories. I think the problem at the moment is
>> that a port update is committed if someone looked into Trac to see
>> any
>> pending updates... So this is rather random when a port update is
>> committed.
>
> Maybe an commit-group would be an idea ;) (something like the
> support-group
> at our office ;)

Do you mean a group of people who do nothing but commit things that
others submit? If we have people who are interested in performing
that function, then sure.

But we don't want everything that's submitted into Trac just blindly
committed into Subversion. We need the committer to be aware of the
changes that are being made, to police the changes in a way. Don't
commit patches that do multiple things; break it into separate
patches or ask the contributor to do so. Don't commit patches that
make whitespace changes to the entire portfile in addition to
functional changes. Don't commit patches that obviously revert a
previous revision without the contributor explaining why. Don't
commit patches that use inadvisable practices without first
discussing these with the contributor. And so forth. In order to know
these things, it helps if such a committer is also an accomplished
port maintainer/author.

I think what we need are committers who are interested in each
category of software. I occasionally look through the unassigned
tickets and either try to handle them (new ports, or patches for
unmaintained ports) or assign them to their ports' maintainers. But
some tickets I don't deal with, like most tickets for Python modules
or most Gnome tickets, because I don't use or sufficiently understand
Python and Gnome. We need committers who are interested in and
proficient in Python and Gnome (and maybe some other categories) who
will deal with those tickets.