lbpcap - yet again - Q

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jan 14 12:44:56 PST 2008

On Jan 14, 2008, at 08:23, Stefmit wrote:

> I keep getting errors on this (libpcap) port, using macports. Would
> anybody be
> kind enough to tell me if this package is being maintained? I
> apologize if I
> am breaking any rules of Qs, but this is my first version (10.5.x)
> macosx
> ever trying to use macports (have used only fink up to and
> including 10.4.x):

Only the maintainer of the libpcap port can tell you if he is
actively maintaining the port. If you get no response from the
maintainer within 72 hours, someone else can try to fix the problem.

> $ sudo port upgrade outdated
>         --->  Building libpcap with target all
> Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command "
> cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_net_l
> ibpcap/work/libpcap-0.9.8"
> && make all " returned error 2
> Command output: rm -f libpcap.dylib
> /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -dynamiclib -o libpcap.`cat VERSION`.dylib \
>                 -install_name /opt/local/lib/libpcap.0.dylib \
>                 -compatibility_version 1.0.0 -current_version `cat
> VERSION` \
>                 pcap-bpf.o fad-getad.o pcap.o inet.o gencode.o
> optimize.o
> nametoaddr.o etherent.o savefile.o bpf_filter.o bpf_image.o bpf_dump.o
> scanner.o grammar.o version.o
> Undefined symbols:
>   "_lex_init", referenced from:
>       _pcap_compile in gencode.o
>   "_lex_cleanup", referenced from:
>       _pcap_compile in gencode.o
>       _pcap_compile in gencode.o
>   "_pcap_lex", referenced from:
>       _pcap_parse in grammar.o
> ld: symbol(s) not found
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [libpcap.dylib] Error 1

As I've already told you, this bug has already been reported:

http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/13802

As you see in the ticket notes, the maintainer has been quite active
in trying to resolve this problem, a possible workaround has been
found, and he is waiting on you to confirm whether the solution works
for you. You should have been receiving email for every change made
to the ticket, since I added you to its Cc list a week ago. Please
try the workaround listed there and add a note to the ticket to let
the maintainer know whether or not it worked for you.